Friday, December 31, 2010

Brewing Day

WOW - been quite a while since I last posted!  Without a lot of boring details, the knee pain experienced while camping turned into being laid up for six weeks (after surgery) and walking with assistance (crutches then cane) for another 6 weeks.  Spent pretty much all of this year (2010) working and traveling for work so no time for brewing till now.

Now on to the brewing.  It is 3 degrees outside so what better way to heat the house than making beer.  I have decided to make an Alaska Amber clone.  I made two batches last year (with a few modifications) and it turned out quite well so thought I would give it another go.  Extract recipe is as follows:

6lbs Pilsen Malt Extract
1lb Carasten Malt 30L
10oz Gambrinus Honey Malt
1oz Cascade Hops (boiling)
1oz Saaz Hops (aroma)
1tsp Irish Moss (boiling)
1pkg Safale Dry Ale yeast

Target OG - 1.0616
Target FG - 1.0259
Target % Alcohol by volume - 4.6%.

Actual OG - 1.0516
Actual FG - I'll know in a few weeks

First taste is good...