Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Seattle Trip

Had the opportunity a couple of weekend ago to attend the Packers-Seahawk game with a few co-workers. Flew out on Friday (October 10th) just as a snow storm was heading in. When we got to the hotel, the first question ask was "gee - I wonder if we can see the Space Needle from our room. Opened the curtains and there it was.


Saturday the weather was great - we decided to visit Pikes Place Market. It was much like I remembered. Fresh fruits and veggies and flowers. Spent a fare amount of time waking around the Market. Wanted to get coffee at the ORIGINAL Starbucks but it was oh so crowded so we decided to go down to the water front instead.





Once there, we visited the shops, eat seafood - FRESH seafood - for lunch and decided we had plenty of time to ride the ferry over to Bainbridge Island. The trip was quite pleasant - did I mention that the weather was perfect? The sky was so clear we could see Mt. Rainier.















(the second picture above IS of Mt. Rainier)


Bainbridge Island wasn't all that spectacular - spent a fair amount of time in a book store, went into an antiques shop but they were pretty darned proud of their antiques. Had beverages at a little pub while we waited for the ferry trip back. It was getting fairly dark on the ride back and the light of Seattle from the Sound was pretty spectacular. Once back on shore, we decided on Ivars for dinner - best dang clam chowder this side of...well, lets just say I am NOT a big chowder fan but I was digging it (pun intended).

By this time, we were about all in - decided to hike it back to the hotel - I forgot how steep some of the streets were getting from the water front to downtown. Calves certainly got a work out. Once at the hotel, the other ladies decided it was bed time - I decided to go to the hotel bar to watch some baseball. Met some very interesting people and most, to my delight, were Packer fans in town for the game.


AHHH Sunday - the day I was waiting for...get to see my team in action. We wanted to get to the stadium early - the other ladies know the mother of one of the Sea Gals and, by extension, one of the Sea Gals. They wanted a chance to see her and chat a bit.


Once they were done, we headed for our seats...on the third (top) level...just a few rows from the TOP of the stadium...better known as the nose bleed section. I did not care - I get to see my team in action AND, better yet, I was surronded by Packer fans - life was good.
The game was good, a fight just about broke out not too far from our seats, did I mention the perfect weather? AND my Packers beat the 'Hawks - what more could a girl ask for?



After the game we wandered down the water front - again. Found a great restaurant for diner and found our way back to the hotel.

Once there, the other ladies wanted to watch 'Desparate Housewives' in the room. Not being a fan of the show, I wandered down to the hotel bar to watch the rest of the Sunday night football game. Had a stimulating conversation with the bar tender (Aaron) about local history.

Next day - Monday...time to fly home...back to reality. Fortunately the snow was pretty much gone. It was nice getting home - seeing my Rimsky and sleeping in my own bed with my own pillows.


















No comments: