Friday, February 6, 2009

My New Addition

As most of you know, I had to put down Rimsky last October - October 30th. He was my companion for 16 years pretty much to the day. He is greatly missed and I was adamant about not getting another pet.

However...a lady in Swan Valley (Linda's boyfriend's sister - Rayna) had adopted a puppy - dog, really, on January 22nd. A week later the dog had broken out in hives. Rayna figured the dog was allergic to her cats - she has three. She later determined the dog might actually be allergic to wheat. Rayna's vet also diagnosed the dog with a heart problem. Rayna has two other dogs and mucho acreage...she was concerned that the new dog playing with the older dogs would cause her heart to give out and knew she couldn't keep the dog. She called Linda and asked if I would be interested in adopting her. Long story short, I ended up agreeing to taking care of her...I picked her up yesterday. She is a beautiful boxer mix. She need a little special attention - we feel she was quite neglected before she ended up at the pound.

Her name is Xena, we think she is a bit over a year old and she is a loving, sweet thing.

Today we worked on sitting and waiting. Getting her to work the dog door is going to take some time but she is bright and I know she will get it...eventually.

She likes riding in my truck and, I must say, she looks great in my truck. There are still some things she needs to learn like not trying to climb in my lap while I am driving.

As I sit here and write this, she is laying beside me sleeping. Wait...now she is snoring...how cute is that!

No comments: